Week 10, session 1 and 2
When I saw that week 10 was making a roast chicken I thought that the only thing I could learn from this is amazing gravy. However, the time planning session was really helpful and I did serve up on time! Will need to get into the habit of doing this for bigger dinners.
The only other thing I can say about this is that the roast potatoes and gravy were amazing!
- Roast potatoes
- Parboil Maris Piper pieces in salted water.
- Drain and allow to dry.
- Heat 100g goose fat in a large baking tray to allow lots of space between potatoes.
- Roast for 20 minutes then turn.
- Roast for a further 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Cook the chicken in a baking tray which the chicken sits in snugly.
- Push 40g of butter underneath the skin of the chicken and insert 2 sprigs of thyme and half a lemon cut in half inside the cavity.
- Cut half an apple and half an onion into chunks and place in the baking tray. Place the chicken on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 100ml of both white wine and water into the bottom of the tray and place the chicken in the oven.
- When the chicken is cooked, move the chicken to a carving board and reserve the juices minus the apple and onion.
- Take the fat off the top of the juices and return them to the baking tray. Heat them up and add a scant tablespoon of plain flour and whisk. Cook for about a minute.
- Slowly add 150ml strong chicken stock (I used the stock I made in week 1) then add the chicken juices.
- Boil for a minute to cook out the flour and then more if you want a stronger flavour.