Week 17, session 1
This week is gelatine week. I’d not done much with gelatine before so was a bit anxious about whether it would set or not as I’ve watched a lot of MasterChef when it doesn’t. I stuck carefully to the measurements though and it did set but only just. Will add a little more gelatine next time.
This recipe used powdered gelatine. I had to get this online but I think bigger supermarkets than my local ones would have it.
It also uses fresh orange juice which could come from a carton but I squeezed oranges for this as I wanted it to have that distinctive fresh flavour.
- 300ml orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp gelatine
- 3 tbsp water
- Put the water in a small pan and sprinkle over the gelatine. Leave to one side for about 5 minutes to absorb the water.
- Place over a low heat and dissolve without stirring.
- In another pan heat half the orange juice with the sugar until the sugar melts.
- Stir the warmed orange juice into the melted gelatine then add the remaining orange juice.
- Rinse out 4 dariole moulds with water then divide the mixture between them.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To remove the jelly’s from the moulds, place into warm water for a few seconds then turn out which may require a sideways jolt.