Week 20, session 1
This week is brunch. I love breakfast items and can eat breakfast at any time of the day. Therefore, pretty happy about brunch week!
Session 1 was blueberry American style pancakes. I’ve made these before, loads, but clearly never properly because these were light and fluffy and cakey and perfect!
I halved the recipe because I didn’t want to waste any and can’t trust myself to not eat them all and it worked really well!
You could easily add other soft fruits, chocolate chips, mashed banana (although you might have to add this before any more of the milk is added) and maybe go full American and serve them with crispy bacon and maple syrup. You could also serve them savoury, not add the 3 tsps sugar and instead serve them with smoked salmon, crème fraiche and macerated cucumber with some dill. Definitely going to do that although will need fewer then 3 pancakes!
Makes about 6- 8 pancakes.
- 225g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 30g melted butter (cooled)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3tsp caster sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 handfuls of blueberries plus extra to serve
- Maple syrup
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg, cooled melted butter and 2/3 of the milk.
- Beat until smooth. Add more milk to get a consistency similar to double cream.
- Stir through the blueberries.
- Heat a non stick pan and melt a little butter in it.
- Pour the mixture into the size of pancake you want.
- Cook on a medium heat making sure that the butter doesn’t burn until bubbles form on the top.
- Flip it over and cook until golden ok the other side.
- Wipe the pan and repeat until you have used up all if the mixture.
- Serve with a few more blueberries and some maple syrup.