Week 15, session 1
It’s another cake week this week – 2 cakes and scones last week (whisked and rubbed in cakes) and 3 cakes this week (creamed and melted). I’m feeling caked out already but the cake marathon must continue.
won’t put up recipes for these but if you want them let me know. I will, however, post the lemon curd recipe below though because that was good!
Cake 1 this week was a Victoria sponge. This is an example of the creamed method where you cream the butter and sugar together then slowly add eggs then fold in dry ingredients. The purpose of this is to get lots of air into the cake. To be honest though, the electric heater with all ingredients in the bowl works just as well for this cake in my opinion.
I’d not made lemon curd before though so that was exciting and it turned out so lovely. It takes a lot of attention so that it doesn’t curdle but apart from that it was quick, easy and delicious! Will definitely make the lemon curd again!
Lemon Curd Recipe
- 2 large lemons
- 85g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- Zest both lemons and keep aside.
- Add butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs to a sauce pan and heat gently, stirring continuously until the mixture is thick.
- Pass through a sieve then stir through the lemon zest.
- Pour into jam jars and close cover to prevent a skin forming.
- This will store in the fridge for about 3 weeks.