Week 16, session 1
I’ve been remiss over the last 2 weeks with blogging but that is because I’ve been in a Leith’s induced sugar coma. Over 2 weeks I baked and ate 6 cakes (I didn’t eat it all, I promise) and for the past 2 weeks I’ve been making (and eating) desserts.
Last week it was crème anglaise which I turned into an ice cream by freezing it and then whizzing it up in the food processor to break down the ice crystals. This method was ok but it wasn’t as smooth as I would like so think that an ice cream maker might be better (not that I’ve ever used one).
The crème anglaise was easy to make and I can see how it would be easy to scale it up and incorporate other flavours. The Hackney Gelato Co. make a chocolate cornflake one which I’m going to have a go at, after I’ve lost 10lbs.
- 150ml whole milk
- 150ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 small egg yolks
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- Scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod and add to the milk along with the pod.
- Heat the milk until steaming (not bubbling). Remove the pod.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together and and a little of the vanilla infused milk and mix. Continue to add the milk until it is all combined.
- Put the mixture back on a medium heat in a clean sauce pan and stir continuously until thickened.
- When it costs the back of a metal spoon it is ready.
- Close cover and leave to cool.
- Once cooled it can be frozen the whizzed up and served.