Week 16, session 2
This session used skills I’ve learnt in other sessions which is good. I used my sugar syrup session to make caramel and my meringue session to make, well, meringue.
This was so delicious. I’d not had parfait before which is much lighter than ice cream but still creamy and I love praline. Haagen-Dazs Pralines and Cream has some competition!
I enjoyed making this and will definitely do it again when I have friends round for dinner. It’s easy, can be made in advance and looks and tastes impressive!
- 100g hazelnuts
- 100g caster sugar
- 16ml water
- 335g double cream
- 4 egg whites
- 113g caster sugar
- Heat the sugar and water slowly until the sugar has melted.
- Continue to heat until the mixture has a dark brown, caramel colour.
- Put the hazelnuts on a slightly oiled tray and pour over the caramel. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks then slowly incorporate the sugar.
- Whisk the cream to soft peaks.
- Fold the cream into the meringue.
- Put the cooled praline into a plastic bag and bash it with a rolling pin. Piece size is personal preference.
- Fold in the majority of the praline and spoon mixture into plastic containers.
- Freeze overnight and once frozen, slice and serve topped with some of the reserved praline.