These turned out better than before but still not perfect. Next time I will plan ahead more so that I have enough unfed starter to make these. I fed my starter yesterday to get the volume up which I think is what made them a little doughy.
Having said this, they were delicious. I served these with some fresh berries so that I could balance out the butter with some healthiness and freshness. Good start to a day off work!
- 220g unfed starter
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1/3tsp salt
- 1/5tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Mix the ingredients together then let it stand until it is billowy
- Heat a non stick frying pan and melt a knob of butter in it.
- Place 4 greased crumpet rings in the frying pan and divide the mixture between them. A deep tablespoon or ice cream scoop gives about the right amount.
- Cook on a low heat until the top is dry and there are plenty of bubbles on top. The bottom should be golden brown.
- Flip over to cook the top for about a minute.
- Serve with butter and whatever else – jam, Marmite, poached eggs…